13 June 2010

expectations vs. reality

so based on my post you can guess what I may blog about here! Before actually having Wilson I had these expectations for my labor and after what it would be like actually having him.

expectation 1. that wilson would come early. stubborn boy proved me wrong and came almost a week late. I am happy though that I didn't have to get induced though.

expectation 2. having an all natural childbirth. I really thought I would be able to do it! But man when my contractions started coming in at 3 minutes apart it was just agony! I was fearful of getting an epidural but at that point I was just so exhausted and in pain that I literally didn't care!

expectation 3. that breastfeeding would be easy. in essence it SHOULD be easy I mean it's just baby and boob right?

expectation 4. that taking care of Wilson would really stress me out. This luckily hasn't been too big of an issue. Yes I get frustrated when Wilson is really fussy but I haven't had any major breakdowns except for the one I had over breastfeeding that first week. It's really more of a guessing game as to what gets him to settle down. Sometimes its swaddling. sometimes using the swing, sometimes laying in his little chair or boppy but most of the time its by laying on mommy's chest.

expectation5. i wouldn't lose any weight or hardly any. I gained almost 40 pounds and in less than a month have already lost 30 of it. I know those last 10 are going to be hard to lose if I don't work out but I'm really happy to have found out that I lost that much already!

expectation 6. my recovery would take a long time. I already feel almost back to normal! I didn't have any soreness with my epidural in my back and all in all healed pretty well so far! I was expecting to have a longer recovery but so far so good!

expectation 7. saying goodbye to sleep as I know it. My reality now is sleeping in these block shifts. I used to sleep 9-10 hours a night and now sleeping intermittently just makes me feel tired pretty much all day even with the nap here and there.

expectation 8. i fully expected Wilson to look like a mini Andy! So imagine my suprise to have a little mini me instead! he is only 1/4 korean so I totally didn't think the asian genes would even show up!

i have more i could probably come up with but i'm tired and its almost time for bed time.

2 comments:

  1. Totally understand all of these! Funny how things change after baby. People just sat back when I'd say what I thought would happen after I had Amelia and say, "you'll see..." haha... so true. And SUCH a guessing game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it, but these last 7 pounds of baby weight have been annoying me for almost two years now. I did not expect it to be this difficult to lose!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.