Andy bought me Bossypants by Tina Fey about a week ago and I just finished it while Wilson was napping. He is now awake and eating his second breakfast, but I had to blog really quick about one of the chapters in the book that really spoke to me as a mother.
It's called "There's a Drunk Midget in my House" and she talks about how she tried to breastfeed and humorously talks about "Teat Nazis"
Here's a link to the chapter if you want to read it.
http://books.google.com/books?id=gszyGuchgQkC&lpg=PT92&ots=ilQCP-gwSD&dq=theres%20a%20drunk%20midget%20in%20my%20house&pg=PT89#v=onepage&q&f=false
Okay, so a lot of the breastfeeding mommies I know aren't Teat Nazis. They don't try to make me feel bad that I stopped breastfeeding or anything like that. But if you are a breastfeeding mom and still currently doing it, then you don't really understand my mommy guilt. You worked hard, you sacrificed, and now your child is reaping the benefits, which is that breastmilk.
Unfortunately for me, normally what that translates into is I didn't try hard enough, I didn't do something enough and so Formula=Failure and my child is somehow less than yours.
Formula translates into my child will be sicker, not as smart, and possibly overweight, while your breastfed baby will never get sick, be a genius, and probably look like a supermodel. I know that's not true, but with all the pro breast milk and formula=poison propaganda it's hard to not take it like that sometimes.
Like I said it's really hard to explain because as a mother we all carry around some type of Mommy Guilt.
I have had to learn that no matter what as long as Wilson is healthy and happy, (which he is 99.5%) then anything I do really doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean I don't still carry around my mommy guilt.
I give my kid french fries?!?! *GASP*
I let him eat pretty much everything as he is a monster now and furiously protests if you eat anything in front of him and don't share. But dang if I don't feel mommy guilt for not giving him organic, pesticide, hormone free potatoes that I cut up and skinned and baked myself for 40 minutes in the oven.
Anyways I really enjoyed reading her short chapter on this, she was able to put humor into something that I could relate to and struggle with.
She also has another hilarious chapter relating to daughters and it's called "The Mother's Prayer for Its Daughter"
I don't have a daughter yet but it definitely gave me a laugh too.
But now it's time to play with Wilson for a couple more hours until he starts making cranky whiney noises that let me know that it is time once again for another nap.
26 April 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
if it makes you feel better, one of my first pics I've seen of me as a 1 year old is eating a french fry. I'm all about everything in moderation, but don't kill yourself over the things you're not doing. You're an awesome mommy! But of course I have mommy guilt every day too. It's a hazard of the job.
ReplyDelete