08 December 2011

1 week old!

So a week ago I gave birth to a sweet baby girl. Wow. She has been amazing and it's crazy to think how much more relaxed I am.
When I had Wilson, I was not used to the lack of sleep. I think I had a hard time reading those baby signals. Or rather learning them. And the breast feeding issue. Oh the breast feeding. I literally sat there and cried about it when we went to the doctors and they had told us Wilson had lost a whole pound. That and the fact that when he was awake he was literally screaming non stop. When we started supplementing with the formula, he literally sucked it down. Breast feeding can be a beautiful and wonderful thing for others. But my experience with it with Wilson made me feel sad and angry about it.
Callie has gotten mostly formula now. My milk came in on around day 4 and I have been pumping a little to relieve the engorgement.
A little is better than nothing, but I'm not going to put myself through the mental anguish of exclusively trying to breast feed. Once my supply diminishes or disappears then it will be over. And I'm okay with it.
It's crazy how every baby is different and so far either my memory is super fuzzy, or it really is the case, but Callie has been a wonderful newborn. I know I remember Wilson being a little more fussy about things, but Callie is super relaxed and chill. I think she is having more gas problems/pooping problems as that is the only time she really fusses.
My fisher price rock n play seat is a HUGE lifesaver. She hangs out it in and really seems to enjoy it.
Unfortunately so does Wilson. I freaked out because one morning I went to get a bowl of cereal and come back in to find him sitting literally on top of her. Luckily I was in there for literally less than a minute but it's scary. What if I had to use the bathroom!? He would've suffocated his sister and not even realized it.
So now I let him follow me around and get into whatever his little toddler heart desires.
Looks wise the bruising from birth is all gone, but her eyes still have the burst blood vessels. They are going down and I've heard it can take up to or over a month to go away.
There's a little yellowing but her jaundice is practically all gone. Another nice thing we aren't having to deal with this time around. We had to use a special light blanket for almost 2 weeks and go to the hospital lab like every day and get blood drawn. Callie hasn't had any issues so we aren't having to do all that this time. Yay. Can't believe that a week has passed.

2 comments:

  1. She is just GORGEOUS. And I love her name. And I was right there with you on the breast feeding issue. I tried to BF. I tried REALLY hard.. for a whole month. But Clara just kept losing weight. It was stressing me out, it was stressing her out... it was even stressing out my husband. Formula has been the best choice for all of us. Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Callie is beautiful!
    How scary that Wilson sat on her, hopefully he'll figure out really quickly that she is a person, not a toy!

    I look forward to reading your adventures with two beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.