It seems so funny to me that I am doing all these "crunchy" parenting ideas with Callie that I didn't do with Wilson.
First off breastfeeding, I drove myself crazy trying to breastfeed Wilson and finally switched to formula after a mini-breakdown. Hormones and new baby were just a little too much for me. We were both so much happier switching though. Wilson didn't even realize what he was missing!
Callie on the other hand, I planned to formula feed. After my failure with Wilson, I figured it would be better for my sanity to just choose formula. Even at the hospital, to the annoyance of my nurses I chose formula. Callie wasn't really interested at eating at first. My milk came in like 5 days after and I was super engorged so I figured "why not?" I figured I would nurse or pump until my supply ran dry and like Wilson be a formula baby.
Only once Callie started latching on she didn't like the bottle. She would push the nipple out and just kind f look at me like "yeah right mom. Where's the good stuff?"
I was in total shock. Wilson being the little piggy he was had no problem switching and didn't miss boob at all.
So here we are at almost 2.5 months and I am almost exclusively breastfeeding.
I say almost because she gets super fussy or hungry in the evening and I'm sucked dry. So I normally make a bottle in the evening.
Another "crunchy" thing I do with Callie is cloth diapering.
With Wilson we lived in apartments and didn't have the washer/dryer or even a cloth diapering service. We did our laundry at our in laws and I didn't want to clean them in theirs.
We now live in a house and have a washer and dryer.
But heres a confession, Callie is cloth diapered but Wilson is not.
He keeps getting terrible rashes from them. I'd have to change him like every hour to not get a rash but Callie doesn't have that issue yet.
I don't think it's anything with the cloth I just think Wilson has a strong uric acid that makes him get rashes faster if he is in it too long.
I normally put a cloth on him for nap and bedtime but for the most part he is in disposables.
The only thing I didn't do super crunchy was natural childbirth. After laboring with Wilson forever before I finally got an epidural, I can say that they can keep their natural childbirth. I'll take the drugs thank you very much. It's no wonder women died in childbirth back in the day.
Oh and I co-sleep/bed share with Callie right now. We have a guest bed so Andy sleeps there and Callie and I get our bed all to ourselves. I'm not gonna lie sometimes I really enjoy cosleeping and just rolling over and nursing her and cuddling. And then other times not so much.
I think since Wilson was formula fed, we didn't bed share/cosleep as much.
I just hope that I can get Callie sleeping in her crib at some point. My worst fear is having a kid who won't sleep in their own bed.
But for right now I'm enjoying it!
11 February 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

she is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAdorable! Makes me miss Nate being so little!!
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! I'm so happy for you that many of these "crunchy" things worked out for you. Nothing too bad about saving money (cloth diapering and breastfeeding) and the environment at the same time. I've never done the co-sleeping, but it sounds amazing. And, she is beautiful! I'm so glad you are getting a chance to experience 2 different methods of baby-raising. It'll be interesting to see if it seems to make any difference in how they turn out! :-)
ReplyDelete