13 September 2012

A new journey for us.

Well, this is a bit of a hard post to write. Mostly because I can't quite separate my own emotions from it all but here we go.

Yesterday, Wilson was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

I didn't really know what it is, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.

But it makes sense.

My two year old can't speak to us. He uses words here and there, but mostly his communication is really just jabbering nonsensical things with maybe a word in there that we can recognize.

I don't know where this journey is going to take us. Well, I do know it involves therapy. (Currently in the works to get started.)

But where is it going to take Wilson? How is this going to affect the rest of his childhood? Is he going to have issues in school? Is he not going to have friends now that he is "labeled" differently?

How are Andy and I going to handle the appointments and sessions, when we have only one car? How is this going to affect Callie? How is this all going to affect us as a family?

I don't know.

But we have a plan. We are committed to getting Wilson the best help there is. Let's start on this new path. See where it takes us.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, Anna. Is there a support group you can join online so you can talk to other moms who've dealt with this? I hope you get answers to your questions soon. Hang in there mama! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna- I'm sorry. None of that sounds fun. Especially having so many unanswered questions. ;-/ I'm sure it's all overwhelming. I can tell you that as far as school goes... The schools on most military bases have free preschool programs for children that qualify. Usually they start at age 3, so he still has a bit to go but at least you'll be prepared to look into it. They usually take the older kids first to prepare them for kindergarten the following year and then fill in the empty spots with the younger kids. They look for things that they might be lacking in. Rowen has been to a couple of screenings and they seem to really focus on speech as one of their more important qualifications. Wilson would probably be a shoe-in for the preschool program at your base.
    Anyway- I know its about a year down the road, but it's something to look into ;)
    Good luck to you and Andy and your babies on getting your questions answered ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    I just read this today and wanted to let you know we are thinking about you and are here if y'all need anything at all (of course, y'all should already know that), but really if we can do anything at all do not hesitate to give me a call or a text, also if you just want to talk I am here too.. I love that boy so very much and know in my heart that he will be just fine with parents like you two, doing everything to help him- that is one lucky kid!! We love you guys and you are in our thoughts and prayers.


    Love you guys,
    Rebecca and Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.