26 June 2012

DIY- I did something!

After getting the babies all cleaned, bathed, and put one to bed, I made my own homemade laundry detergent.
Thanks to Pinterest and one of my friends, I was inspired to try it out.
I think I spent about 30.00 to get everything together. Next time I'll be on the look out for coupons to use.
So I got my rubber gloves and cheese grater and got to work on grating the soap.
It's a bit boring and tedious, it took me about 25 minutes to grate it all up.
 Then I started layering all the different ingredients and unfortunately, my Borax was all clumpy so I had to spend a lot of time trying beat it back down to the powder.

All in all I spent a little less than an hour putting it together and I have my first load with it in the washer right now. I have a HE washer so I'm nervous about it. I didn't add it to the detergent area like I normally would but added it right to the clothes.

I'll post an update after I use it a couple times! I'm so excited that I have laundry detergent for hopefully a year! Although I do a lot of laundry, so we will see how long it really lasts me.
 
Here are all the ingredients I used.
 The Fels Naptha Soap all grated up.
Layering the ingredients together in my storage tub.
Finished product. The Purex Crystals container is filled up and ready to be used!

4 comments:

  1. My mom and I made a liquid soap using the fels naptha, borax, and washing soda. It works amazingly well! I personally didn't like the chemically strange smell of the fels naptha so we are going to try either Dr. Bonner's or Kirk's Castile Soap in the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I so want to try something like this when we move and get settled into Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Yours looks way better than mine. I grated my Fels Naptha with a cheese grater the first time and it worked well, but yeah... took forever! I loved it so much i passed it out to family in little jars... so my second batch i opted on blending the Fels Naptha in my blender... I would not recommend. That soap took forever to get out of my blender and no matter how long i blended it for, i could not get the soap to get to the same powdery consistency as before. It was all clumpy. I'm still using it and it still works with my clothes... I'm just finding small clumps of Fels Naptha in the bottom of my washer. ;( my next batch will definitely be cheese grated. But, as long as i don't give it away ... ;) it should last me a long time too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this too with borax, fels naptha and regular soap, and washing soda. It is AWESOME in my front loader. Probably the best ever. You can use any plain bar soap. Look at soap-making supply companies for melt and pour soap. I get mine from brambleberry.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.