13 August 2010

The Crockpot is my new BFF. Sorry Shawna!

So a week down at work. No, I haven't cried. Yes, I miss my baby. But work is work. I like most of my coworkers and my job so it was easy to come back to my job. I would much rather prefer to be a stay at home mom but for right now it's bearable.

Since coming back to work I have had to figure out my meal plan. Since we work all day the time we are most hungry is while we are at work. By the time we get home from work cooking a dinner is the last thing on both of our minds. Although lets be honest, Andy doesn't cook. Sandwiches yes, things that involve the use of the stove or oven, No.

Well thanks to my handy dandy crockpot I have solved the meal dilemma! I'm by means no gourmet cook but I know my way around the kitchen. So I prepared 3 different crockpot meals that I would throw in the morning and have ready by the time we get off work.

First up the week was some Heavenly Chicken with Rice. This was reallly creamy and delicious and very much a chicken and rice type meal. YUM! Recipe found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jennies-Heavenly-Slow-Cooker-Chicken/Detail.aspx

I made this on Sunday evening so we would have some for Monday. Man it really was great!!

Next up I made your standard traditional pot roast. Once again a super easy to make meal that I threw in the crockpot and when it was ready to eat! MMMMM the meat and veggies sooo tender! Recipe here:http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maries-Easy-Slow-Cooker-Pot-Roast/Detail.aspx

The last one I made was basically a version of Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie. This I took 2 different recipes and used different parts to make it.

First I slow cooked about 4-5 chicken breast and 1 can of cream of mushroom. I cooked this until it was nice and cooked and I then shredded the chicken.
Next I took a can of cream of chicken, and 1 package 16 0z of frozen vegetables and mixed them up together with the chicken. I then cooked this on high for about an hour and then turned it down to low.

Then I took a can of refridgerated biscuits and put on top of the mix and cooked on low until the biscuits are basically cooked.

Since they aren't cooked in the oven they don't get that golden look and for some people that's creepy so its optional to put the biscuits in the oven instead. But I wasn't about to dirty a cookie sheet for that.

I really liked this one a lot too! They were all flavorful and it was so easy getting the stuff ready.
No having to worry about what to eat for lunch and eating more homemade food rather than fast food! Plus leftovers!

I plan on changing it up every other week and am currently looking at different recipes to try out.

On another note, I cooked Andy some fried chicken and let's just say, I win that category hands down.

It feels really good to cook things for Andy and know that he not only appreciates them but also enjoys eating them! Hopefully my kids will think the same thing too when they get older.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I would be replaced by of all things a crock-pot :) They are GREAT, if only I wasn't a picky eater. We do a little bit of meat and potatoes in it every once in awhile. You are such a good wifey and mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you know I love ya and you are the bestest bff! HEHE

    You could totally do the pot roast and not put carrots in or at the very least make them so Dan and Kaitlyn can eat them.

    That's what's great about cooking you can totally make it to what you want to eat!
    Get to cooking woman! <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.