12 October 2011

Hormonal Rant in progress.

Well I finally found out that I passed the stupid 3 hour glucose test. What a complete waste of my time. Thanks for making me have to starve myself and my unborn child, then forcing me to drink the nastiest drink ever, then sticking me with a needle every hour for three hours. Let's come up with a better way of being able to actually screen Gestational Diabetes. END RANT.

Okay so it's not really the end rant.

But I am a healthy person with no medical problems or weight problems. Clearly the odds of me actually having actual Gestational Diabetes were going to be low.

That being said, while being pregnant your body is doing all sorts of crazy things it normally wouldn't do, but why why why hasn't the medical field come up with something different to try to test for this?

I cannot comprehend how starving a mother and unborn child of nutrients for 12 hours and then making her drink a chockful of sugar liquid is at all healthy? Especially if said mother and baby really DID have GD.

If the mother having high blood sugar and not being able to convert it (which is what essentially GD is) causes harm to the baby. Why are we forcing women to take this test which clearly would do that?

How can gestational diabetes affect me and my baby?

High blood sugar levels can be unhealthy for both you and your baby. If the diabetes isn't treated, your baby may be more likely to have problems at birth. For example, your baby may have a low blood sugar level, jaundice, or your baby may weigh much more than normal.


Gestational diabetes can also affect your health. For instance, if your baby is very large, you may have a more difficult delivery or you may need a cesarean section. Gestational diabetes also increases your risk of developing preeclampsia, which is a condition that can be serious if left untreated.

Taken from here.

If the worst thing that can happen from having GD is a large baby, jaundice, (which most babies have anyways) or the risk of having to have a c-section, well then I'd say the risks aren't as dire as people make it out to seem.

If there is a possibility that we decide to have a 3rd child I know for sure I will refuse testing. I should've put my foot down for this pregnancy and basically got guilted into it.

"oh better safe than sorry." sounds a lot like "well everyone else is jumping off the cliff so you need to too."

My rant is over now although if I weren't so sleepy I probably could go on and on about this. It just irritates me so much. RAWR




1 comment:

  1. i had gastional diabetes and it sucked so bad! i had to take around 15 pills a day and shot myself with the insuline and constantly watched what i was eating it was a daily 24/7 job..

    hope you doing great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! So comment away if you feel the desire.