As someone who has done both cloth and disposables. I think I'm one of those moms who would actually lean towards disposables more if I could.
First off I had really wanted to do cloth diapering before I had Wilson, I read up on and realized that living in an sub-basement apartment with no Washer and Dryer was going to make it really hard, UNLESS I invested so much money that I could have a big enough stash to last me the week until I did laundry.
That being said. Leaving your cloth diapers in a pail/bucket/bag for a week is nasty gross. So. When the time came and Wilson was born, we went right into disposables.
I still WANTED to cloth diaper and save myself the money, even if I was losing out on the convenience of disposables.
So when we knew we were moving to a new place that would have a washer and dryer hookup. I thought "Finally!! I can cloth diaper!"
Only it was now almost a year into parenting and quitting those disposables are hard. (at least it was for me) and the initial cost of buying said cloth diaper stash was quite pricey! I did get lucky and was able to buy some used cloth diapers for about 40 bucks for like 6 of them which is awesome.
I miss just wiping Wilson's butt and throwing the poopy diaper away. Or if he gets a rash, if I can put diaper cream on it and not worry about the cloth repelling. Or if I am cleaning them right.
Now it's definitely an extra process, because my son of course doesn't always have that perfect poop that just rolls out of the cloth diaper and into the toilet.
Oh no. I have to sit there and put gloves on and scrub the sometimes yogurt/pudding/mashed potato-y substance out.
Also another thing I don't like about cloth is that once you start buying some, you see all the adorable prints/diaper covers you can get. And spend a small fortune on! 15 bucks for one diaper cover?? 20 bucks for an all in one?! That you only get to use once?
You'd almost think I was anti-cloth diapering.
I'm definitely that mom that is repeating in her head, "This is saving me money, this is saving me money."
With Callie coming, I will hopefully cloth diaper exclusively, but will yearn for those disposables when I have poop explosions, when she leaks out of her diaper, because as I have learned cloth doesn't absorb as much as disposables can, when I see cute girly diaper prints for cloths and spent over 50 bucks buying her a diaper or two, (when I could've bought like 2 boxes of disposables for the same price that would last at least 2 months, depending on size/package count)
I cloth diaper to save money. Period. And I do it grudgingly.
The only saving grace is there is something SO adorable about seeing that giant stuffed butt running around in a cute diaper cover.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've always wanted to cloth diaper...why I haven't yet? I have no clue. It totally intimidates me is my guessing...
ReplyDeleteI'll have to live vicariously through you now :)
xo
yep, i didn't cloth diaper till my 4th and 5th kids. hard to convert!
ReplyDelete