It's very interesting to me how my life has now become very simple and yet very hard at the same time.
Being a military brat, I grew up seeing my own mom be a homemaker, but she was Korean, and surrounded herself in a Korean community that was not really interested in being a part of Military life.
She didn't do play dates with other military wives that lived on base. She did Korean bible studies and us kids would play together, but it was never a "playdate". My mom didn't have any fellow military wife friends unless they were Korean.
So far I have gone to some play dates and tried to get to know fellow military wives. It's easier now to see why my mom only stuck to her Korean friends. There's just a sense of friendship there.
Making friends with military wives is more like an interview, you meet fellow moms and try to figure out if your ideals, parenting styles, personalities, will match up.
I can tell right now that not everyone I will ever meet will automatically become my friend. Or that it will grow into a friendship that I can count on and treasure.
I still welcome every opportunity to meet other moms, for one thing to get out of the house, and to let Wilson meet other babies/children.
So in one way it's simple: I stay home, take care and play with Wilson, we will run errands, fight to change diapers, attempt to take naps, and have playdates with other military mommies.
On the other hand it's hard: I stay at home, the house always needs cleaning, sometimes it gets lonely, sometimes you wish you had a babysitter!
I can't imagine how it might be for me if and when I might have to face Andy deploying for 6 months. Especially since our stay here at Keesler is not for long.
I'm glad that I had the experience of being an Army brat, I think it has prepared a little for this life. I'm used to moving, I'm used to putting myself out there and making friends.
But as a military wife, I'm not used to how lonely it can feel. As a child I had way more things to occupy my time. Toys, playgrounds, school, etc. As a wife, it's different, I have responsibilities and sometimes it feels like I am doing it on my own!
That's actually probably a good thing for me, but it does take me out of my comfort zone.
In another month we will hopefully know where we will be stationed at for 2 years. It will be interesting to see where we will be going for our temporary home.
01 June 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
my only spouse friends are from other branches of the military... you need to be careful of who you befriend! i can't handle people in trevor's "circle" knowing about what we do on the weekends/with our free time/etc.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. I know it will get better for you. I don't know what to tell you about being a stay at home mom. I knew I couldn't handle it which is why I work! I need structure in my day. Maybe that would help you feel better? And doing swaps with other moms so you can get breaks?
ReplyDelete